Sunday 8 September 2024

First week of September feels


First conkers of the year!!

It's been another busy week, catching up from the summer holidays. 
Jeff went back to work 'proper' on Monday and I dropped Sam off at the train station, London bound for the next couple of weeks.


On Tuesday we were up early to book our Summer 2025 flights. Martin Lewis gave us the tip off and we always get up early now on a flight release day. Our flights, if we were to book them today, just a week later, would be £100 more expensive. So worth setting an early alarm!
I then had a bit of training to go in for, gallery related, then spent the afternoon with friends enjoying a coffee in the sunshine. Yes! we did have a tiny bit of sunshine worth noting. The rest of the week has been grey, damp, wet and miserable.


On Wednesday, I had a date over at the Newt. 
I'd promised to take my old Sainsbury's Manager there as a leaving gift! 
She'd never been but I knew she would appreciate it. 


So we had breakfast in the Garden cafe.....


....and then had a good wander around.
Thankfully it stayed dry but the rest of the week has been pretty soggy...


....damp and chilly!!
We haven't turned the heating on but are changing over to the warmer duvet today.
I can't complain, because we had July in Greece, but Summer here in the UK has been very disappointing and the promise of an Indian Summer doesn't look likely. 


The Christmas chocolates are already in the shops. I always buy the 'Chocolate Tin' pouches as soon as I see them on offer, and this year Morrison's had them at 2 for £6. So I've separated them all out and popped them away in the tin at the back of the cupboard. Got a bag of the ones we don't like, ready for Halloween and that's one thing done!


On Thursday I had a coffee and catch up with my walking friend, Lynn. We didn't walk as it was raining but we'd not seen each other since the end of June. Lots to catch up on. Then I had three clear days. My plan was to sort out holiday accommodation, now we had our flights booked. I don't know if it was the number of tabs I had open......but my computer didn't like it, and ceremoniously 'died' on me! 
Unfix-able!!! 
Jeff had said all summer "I must get you a new computer" but it was just one of those things that we never got round to doing! I think I had an old computer of Sam's, which was fine, but had started making a lot of noise/struggling when it was on! So I am having to make do with another old one, Jeff kept 'just in case' and hopefully a new one will arrive on Monday! When I will enter password hell, trying to log into everything!


On Saturday, I made use of the 'dry' weather window, and popped over to Somerton to drop over some flyer's for the Gallery. Whilst I was there I had a peek at the current Exhibition 'Hanging by a Thread'. This exhibition has been 2 years in the making and showcases the hand stitched work of .....


...Angela Knapp


and Kara Chambers
Beautiful work, detailed, such skill. I loved it all. 


So today is Sunday!
Another grey day, with rain forecast. 
Autumn has arrived early. The trees are turning, the evenings are drawing in and summer clothes need to be put away for another year.
 I start back in the gallery next week, for the next five weeks. I like the money but do not like being tied to something. I can guarantee the weather will be dry and sunny on gallery days and wet and miserable when I'm off! It's always the way! So next week looks busy. I have a coffee date on Monday and new computer arrival. A catch up day on Tuesday or maybe a Bath shopping trip, but I don't think I'll have time. Gallery days on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, with artist talks and the private view on Friday evening. Then a half day on Saturday, as Sophie and I have a theatre date in Bristol, which was booked before I even got the job!! Sam needs to be collected and returns, 'for one night only' on Sunday, before he heads back to Cardiff and Uni!! So a busy week ahead. 

No comments: