Sunday 8 November 2020

Week one of November and lockdown round two!!


Wow! A week into November already. 
Seems too late to say farewell to October and.....


....hello to November.


Seems slightly more frightening that it's already 5 years ago since the builders
 moved in and work started on the kitchen/bedroom extension.


It's been a busy week. I worked the Sunday and Monday, had Tuesday off as holiday, originally booked off for a trip to Amsterdam to celebrate Sophie's 21st but instead I spent the morning with Sam in Stockhill Woods, spotting the red and white wonderful Fly Agaric


And didn't we do well! It's the only place I've spotted them...


...and this lot too!


Wednesday was Sophie's 21st (see previous post)


And then Thursday we went into Lockdown Round Two!!

Not much changes for us as a family, just the meeting up for the special birthday celebrations, meal out... We're all still working and exercise is still allowed and this time around, you can travel to exercise. Although you have to question whether your journey is essential. So although I'd love to be revisitig Stockhill Woods, Ebbor Gorge etc, I think it's wrong to do so. I appreciate that we can drive for exercise and I'm lucky I have the fabulous Polden's just 5 minute drive from the house, Glastonbury Tor etc but I would feel wrong going to Wells or further afield, so I'm sticking closer to home and am going to get out in the fresh air every day if dry.


So on Thursday, day one of lockdown round two, I got up early and parked up by Combe Hill Woods and walked a stretch I'd not done before.


It was the first frost of the year, a car scrapper!! 
but as a result beautiful cobwebs....


...and the most fabulous sunshine, once it burnt through the fog.


A few finds found on my wanderings.


Friday day two and another early start, just me, literally, I didn't see another soul. I parked up at Ivythorn Woods and sloped off down into the woods that run parallel to the official Polden Way pathway.


worth it....


....another fab selection of finds along the way.


Saturday was just me again, the boys bed is too tempting for him, he needs his sleep!!
So back up to Combe Hill Woods and a very muddy walk.


But what a wonderful place to spend any amount of time. I'm finding the woods are my happy place. I love getting there early, having the place to myself and just stand in the most amazing surroundings, just breathe in the fresh air and just feel all the stresses and strains leave me. A friend from Uni days suggested I look up Shinrin Yoko - Forest Bathing


It describes exactly how I feel, when I just stand and take stock of my surroundings.


I even got to see some deer on my wanderings.......


....and fungi the size of my hand!!


Plus all of these.


So today, Sunday, a rare day off, booked as holiday for our trip to Amsterdam. I normally work an 8 hour shift every Sunday. Prior to today, I've had just 3 Sunday's off all year, so I decided to still take it. It rained, of course, so I enjoyed a lazy morning at home drinking coffee!


Once the rain cleared Jeff and I headed back up to 
Ivythorn Woods and went for an hours burst of fresh air.....


....and a few more fungi finds along the way.

It's back to work for me tomorrow and Monday and then I have more holiday, booked for my birthday originally but again, every plan has been cancelled, so I'm going to still take the time off but enjoy some time at home. More wanderings around the woods, a good clean and tidy up of the house, might even start to write a few Christmas cards.... a perfect, slow paced, nowhere to go kinda week x


 

No comments: