Saturday 25 September 2021

And then there were none!!

 How does the saying go ? 'Time flies when you're having fun'.....

...... or in my case when you're just super busy!!

So, finally the time has come for my baby boy to leave home! 
All Granny ever wanted was for Sam to go to University, 
well sadly she's not here to actually see it...


...but on Wednesday morning we packed up the Micra....


......and were Cardiff bound!
Sam being as laid back as he is, got a 3pm move in slot. We got there a little earlier and there seemed to be no one checking timings, so as we got a space directly outside his block and moved him in. Followed by the big Tesco's shop....


And then I left him to go and park the car. He's in a mixed flat of six, three guys, 3 girls and out of the 3 I've met, they seem great. Sam is a very social individual and I've never had any worries about him settling in, making friends, it's just the 'work bit'!!  Will he find his lectures?


I'd decided to stay over in Cardiff for the night, as Sam had no idea when or if any of his housemates were moving in that day. Had no one showed, we could've spent the evening together but it worked out fine and I left him chatting to his flatmates in the kitchen. The walk to my accommodation was lovely, along the river....


....through the park and this'll be Sam's daily commute to lectures!


I booked a room through booking.com and very nice it was too.
I hadn't realised it was above a pub but that worked out beautifully...


... a beer, bowl of chips and a much needed coffee on arrival!


I then spent the following day (Thursday) in Cardiff exploring, shopping and drinking coffee. I met Sam and one of his flatmates for lunch, which was lovely, as she just seemed a really nice girl and made me feel happier leaving him, knowing that he would be okay. I quickly picked up some bits from Sam's to take back and headed for home, exhausted!!


Friday and for the first time in a long time, I had the day completely to myself. Spoke to Sophie first thing for a catch up, got 4 loads of washing done and on the line, then headed over to The Newt in Bruton for the morning.


It was a beautiful blue sky day and the autumnal colours were stunning.


It is a beautiful place. I have a years membership, which was £17. They've now upped the yearly membership to £48, which I feel is too much to justify continuing with. So I plan to make the most of my time left and go at least monthly before my membership runs out.


I did manage to see the deer...


...and the wire walkway of gourds was stunning.


There were nods to autumn wherever you turned....


...and the autumnal colours shouted out.


So today is Saturday, more recently spent with Sophie.....


...but it's an Exeat weekend, which means Jeff has a rare Saturday off, 
so we got to spend the day together


And we went for a long walk this morning, down to the Reed beds and more autumnal feels all the way. I'd not done that walk in a long time, since May, as I was charged at by a cow, so thought safer going with Jeff. It's a lovely walk and so close to home.


And so with the new season, a new era begins, just Jeff and I at home!
New adventures lie ahead for Sophie and Sam and they will hopefully get to enjoy a more 'normal' year away at university. Sophie in her last year but with the pressure off enough to enjoy her final year, knowing she has a job lined up for when she leaves. Sam on the other hand starts his Uni life and the next four years living in Cardiff. Am a little bit jealous, it looks a great city and I just know he's going to have the best time. We plan to visit in half term, check up on him, probably a food shop and free lunch thrown in for good measure and Sophie is home for a few days in early November for Reading Week. Their beds are stripped, washed and made up again if they need to come home but I think that's very unlikely xx

No comments: