Monday 20 June 2011

Today, we are 3!


So today dots and spots is 3 years old – I take the date from the first day I received payment from a shop for my cards!! That was when it all got serious but .....










......I never imagined 3 years on, I would be where I am today.




Some days, when there are a hundred and one jobs to do, I think what ‘monster’ have I created?!!! Sometimes it can all be so consuming and I wonder how did I end up with this ‘to do’ list that never seems to end no matter how many hours I devote to it. Then I observe my husband – a teacher, doing the job I used to do – leaving the house at 7.30 every morning and not coming home until nearly 5pm, writing reports and having to go in for trips and plays and sports days and meetings!



By creating dots and spots, I have given myself a little flexibility – yes I work hard, yes I work many more hours than I did teaching but what I am doing, I am doing for me and my family. I can take a morning off to watch an assembly, if the children are ill, I don’t need to feel so guilty about having to take a day off work. I don’t have to spend my weekends and holidays writing reports and planning – because if the truth be know I don’t really ever get a holiday or many weekends off (yet!) I seem to work every day but can pick and choose when and for how long, depending on the ‘to do’ list.




I feel very lucky to be able to see my products ‘out there’ in the shops – a brand that is becoming distinctive and recognisable. Designs, which people will pay for and come back for more. In 3 years we have developed a whole range of products and designs – some are still with us since the beginning – some have been put to one side or have been developed in a different way.


There is still so much I want to do – I'm hoping in another three years time, I will look back at this blog entry and smile , enjoying even more new products and designs and writing about how far we have come! I guess it’s quite an achievement, given the current state of country, some would say a silly time to start a business but it really did just evolve, never any business plan, never any detailed projections, as each opportunity has arisen, so we have done our best to grab it with both hands and I guess, that’s how things will continue.




So Happy 3rd Birthday dots and spots and fingers crossed, there will be many more birthday's to come.



17 comments:

Helen Harkawenko said...

Happy Birthday to you Dots and Spots!
I haven't been following your blog for long but I look forward to your posts. I love your designs and follow your progress with great interest as I, one day, hope to have a successful business making greetings cards and designs.
I hand craft my own greetings cards and am slowly feeling more confident in myself and my work as a couple of retailers are buying my cards. I only hope that in three years time I can be only a fraction as successful and recognisable as you are.
Thank you for being my inspiration and have a wonderful Business Birthday!
Helen

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Heres to many more successful years to come!
Maxine

Jenny said...

Happy Dots and Spots birthday!!! Hope you will be having a glass of something bubbly to celebrate! x

A Thrifty Mrs said...

Fantastic! Happy birthday, here's to many more huh?!

Elf Designs said...

Happy 3rd Birthday!!! Congratulations you have achieved so much, you are such a huge inspiration for all creative people out there. I also work for myself (with my husband) but not by doing what I love (being creative) I have to do the artwork and paper work. I know what you mean about not having any holidays & working hardly & longer hours, but it is worth it to be home for the little one.
Congratulations sending hugs xxx

Judith said...

Happy Birthday, Dots and Spots!

Keep on the great work!

Have a happy evening and enjoy celebrating,

Greetings,
Judith

Gilly Tee said...

Here's to many more.
Gillx

Ginge said...

Happy Birthday - D&S is an inspiration to us all !

xxx

Jessie May said...

Happy Birthday Dots and Spots! You deserve to celebrate. Wishing you many more birthdays :)

Shsjndkdns said...

Happy Birthday!
Heres to many more :)
X
Gem

French Knots said...

Happy Birthday and congratulations on creating such an inspiring business.

Anonymous said...

Happiest of Birthdays! I am so happy I found your cuteness! Your story is a great one!
Blessings, Miss Paula

Pene said...

Happy Birthday Dots and Spots!!
I have to say I am always thrilled to see what your doing next and your success is down to your hard work, dedication , oh and talent.
May your success continue and your business grow
Happy Birthday
Hugs
Pene x

Vintage from the Village said...

Congratulations
You are doing a great job - I love your products and your blog
Sue x Vintage from the Village

Zoë said...

Happy Birthday! This is so inspirational; may Dots and Spots have many more fun filled years to come x

liz mortimer said...

Happy birthday x gorgeous blog, love all your new designs, cant believe so much has happened in only 3 years, your an inspiration to us all x

liz x

Anonymous said...

happy birthday to Dots and Spots! Becky, you have been working very hard for the last few years and it is all paying off!
I love Dots and SPots products and have for a very long tme now.
good luck!
Aldona