Sunday 28 April 2024

Exams begin.....


This week I start my exam invigilation stint. 

Over the next couple of months, I will be in school invigilating. This job can be thought of as boring, but I actually enjoy the quiet, the stillness, the pure fact you are not 'allowed' to do anything! It's excellent 'thinking time'. You are not allowed to read, write out your shopping list, do the crossword.....you are there to sit and observe! I'm assigned to the learning support team, so I do a range of things. One day I may be in the main hall with a bank of students on laptops, another day I could be one to one with a pupil as a reader or a scribe. It varies greatly and the lady in charge is great at giving you a mix of roles. Initially you offer up your availability and she assigns you a variety of exams. I did leave a few blanks but to be fair, she's constantly sending out emails pleading for people to come forward to fill in the blanks. I couldn't do it, once I commit to something, I follow through, but so many people cancel on her. I honestly would hate her job!! 


I am in school a lot! This role is allowing me the summer off with Jeff. I need to work as much as possible, earn enough money to allow me the luxury of the summer off. In Sainsbury's I was really tied by the set amount of holiday allocated. So although I am on a zero hour contract for this role, and what I do in the gallery, with no job security, monthly wage..... it gives me flexibility and holidays off with Jeff. As long as I can make enough money, it's the perfect scenario.


I had a few free sessions this week, easily filled with coffee and catch-up dates and walking with my friend. I took her to see the bluebells but on the way up to the woods, we were gifted this wonderful scene.....


....a field full of cowslips!


I have never seen this amount in one place. 
It was beautiful.


As were the bluebells!!!


I also had Friday off, haircut time. I have gone super short.....sorry Mum! 
She's not a fan when it's super short, but I love it!!


Both Jeff and I worked Saturday morning. He always does, but at the moment mock exams are on, so as they have Saturday school, exams were still on! Then in the afternoon, Jeff swapped out of his volleyball session, to head off up to Cardiff.

So, whilst we were away in Italy, Sophie had car trouble. Long story short, on our return last weekend, we found a suitable replacement for her to buy, here locally in Shepton Mallet. We bought it last weekend and it's been sat out on the drive. Then during his first available free slot, he went up to Cardiff  to swap it over with Sophie's old car.


Now this wasn't a given. The car hasn't started on a few occasions for Sophie. She's had to disconnect the battery and get someone to jump start it, basically it's become unreliable and she's lost confidence in it. Jeff however, sees it as his new project!!! So he was determined to get it home, so he can work out what the problem is!!!!!! It's been a great little car. She bought it for £650 four years ago and it has been a fab first car for her. She has been looking for a new car for a while to be fair, but it passed it's MOT so we thought we had a year to find a replacement. The car had other ideas!!! Thankfully, he got home in one piece, with no break downs on the motorway!! So we now have 4 cars out on the drive, or as I now term it....the forecourt!!!! Jeff's retro Peugeot 205, Sophie's old Micra, my KA and what will be Sam's Honda Civic in July!!!! The neighbours must think he's a car dealer on the side!!!


Anyway, enough of cars!! It drives me a bit potty! All I want/need is a small, reliable car! But Jeff loves to tinker....well he was an engineer in the RAF when I first met him!!

Anyway, as I said, enough of cars.....let's get to the serious bit, our next trip!
Nine weeks to get beachwear ready!! It's getting closer, rather rapidly to be fair. 
I feel pretty organised. I keep buying things on offer, antihistamine tablets, suntan cream, shower gel....I even tracked down my nice bikini bottoms in our local M&S outlet. I've got my HRT patches and I have my fancy new rucksack ready to pack. I just need to lose a few pounds so I feel fabulous, and can enjoy all the Greek food whilst we're away!!


I'm feeling quite focused food wise. As a member of the Newt, you occasionally get an email with an offer...... £20 off in the shop. Normally, I come home with a cinnamon bun for Jeff, as it is on the pricy side, but when you can get £20 of free food, essentially, you'd be silly not too!!! 


I went for lots of the fresh, homegrown tomatoes, peppers, onions, salad leaves. Eggs, oatcakes, a sourdough loaf, almonds and a 'treat' apple cake. I mean, how fabulous do these tomatoes look?


We're having them for lunch, a throwback to the wonderful, delicious bruschetta we enjoyed in Italy. Would be even better if we could sit outside and eat in the garden, in lovely warm sunshine. But the reality is, it's blumin freezing!!. It's grey and cold and damp and generally miserable!! And the forecast doesn't bring much improvement. Sigh!!


Everything is so behind. I guess it'll all last longer but it is unseasonably cold. Hence, it's nice to have Greece to look forward to. Warm, sunny days to come xx

No comments: