Tuesday 23 July 2013

Goodbye


It is always hard to say goodbye, particularly if you have been happy in a place. Both my children have loved their time at Ditcheat school, I wish I'd moved them there sooner but our 4 year connection with the school has come to an end, it is time to say goodbye as Sam leaves to move onto his new Secondary School.


When Sophie left 2 years ago, I did a collage of the school as a gift for the headteacher who was also moving on.



Sam is a young one for his year, still only 10. He was labelled a 'reluctant writer' at his old school, hated reading books and had little confidence. Under the care and encouragement of Ditcheat school and their truly lovely staff, he has found a comfortable relationship with writing, still hates spelling though. His confidence with reading has grown in small, nurturing reading groups, and for a boy who hates to draw any attention to himself, he shared the leading male role in the school play. His ability with numeracy has been encouraged and celebrated. He has achieved so much and loved his time there.


I often see debates about teacher's gifts and whether or not it's right to give gifts. I don't agree with the way some parents get competitive in their gift buying and try to outdo each other but I really wanted to say a big thank you to Sam's teacher, so did put together a special 'dots and spots' gift. Having been a teacher, I know the hours they put in and how hard the job is, having 30 children all day. I view school as education not childcare and I know Sam's teacher has helped him incredibly over the past 2 years.


All the staff go out of their way to support the children in their care, so I would like to say a big THANK YOU to all the staff at Ditcheat school. You have given both my children a very positive, encouraging and nurturing environment and prepared them well for their next endeavours.

Thank You and Goodbye

No comments: