Sunday 3 September 2023

Pinch and a punch.....

....hello September!


The first of the 'ber' months!


August can only described as wet!!
However.......we celebrated our 27th wedding anniversary, and Sam's 21st birthday!! Enjoyed a lovely evening with Jeff's side of the family. I picked Dahlias, saw 42nd Street in Bristol and Barbie. Had a couple of catch-ups in Wells and Bath with my sister. Jeff proudly got his Peugeot 205 on the road, tackled the garden and we've made the most of any sunshine!! When we had it!! The figs, sunflowers and pumpkins have all been ripening and growing. Walks in the woods, out with Lynn, blackberry picking, crumble making...all lovely. Just wished there'd been more sun xx


Have been clinging on to any colour in the garden to brighten up the grey!


A wet pumpkin!


And more figs. 
Think there will be a lull now. If we get a nice spell, enough for things to swell and ripen, 
I could be in with another bumper crop, a second wave.


Up until Thursday it was still just rain!
And I cancelled my plans to walk with Lynn.


I met up with my friend Sam in Wells that evening and thankfully 
things had dried up enough to at least not have a brolly, but so not summery!


Then on Friday things brightened. 


This robin spent the whole day singing his heart out in the garden!


Saturday morning, and I met a friend for coffee.
And then Jeff and I spent all afternoon out in the garden.


What a difference a bit of sunshine makes!


Perfect end to a sunshine filled day.


Today has been more of the same. Glorious sunshine and so some, sun inspired food on the menu.
 'Pan con Tomate' for lunch. Basically, tomatoes on toast but really scrummy. Toasted the sourdough in a pan with some olive oil, then topped with the tomato I'd prepped this morning. I bought the bowl in Malaga, its base is sharp, just like a grater. I then sieved out the pips from the tomato pulp and then sieved again to get rid of any excess liquid. Gently rub the toasted bread with a garlic clove, spoon out the tomato, sprinkle a little seasalt, and finish with a bit of basil. 


Simple and delicious x


The sunshine really is the best tonic and a very welcome dose.
I really thought summer was over before it had begun!


Unfortunately though, summer is over as far as work is concerned! Jeff returns to school/work tomorrow, his summer holiday over! The first full holiday period we've spent together in 6 years. I'm coming up to nearly 3 months now since I left Sainsbury's, and some days I wonder how I managed to fit work in! I'm in no rush to jump into something new yet. I have so much I want to do first. 
Something will come along, when the time is right x


He had to go in to welcome new Year 10 pupils and their families this afternoon. 
Just for a couple of hours but a dry run, being back in a suit again!!


And then we had tea out in the garden. 


Sophie has just arrived home, literally. 
We go to Amsterdam on Wednesday. At the beginning of the week I was researching what to do in the rain.......now it's where to go in hot weather!!! Can you believe it? Was a rainy 22 degrees at the start of the week, now we're looking at 28 degrees!! 


I'm certainly not complaining. I really do not like the rain and as the years go by, I realise my mood is really affected by the weather. I don't think I have SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder but I do feel more motivatated, energised, purposeful, when the sun is shining and there are blue skies. Doesn't have to be scorchio, just bright and sun filled x So I'm looking forward to a sunny few days in Amsterdam, during the coming week, whilst poor Jeff returns to school.

No comments: