Saturday 30 May 2020

LOCKDOWN WEEK TEN!


WEEK 10!!!???!!!


The week my sister and I should have gone to Florence. Hugely disappointing not to be able to go but we have it to look forward to next year, along with everything else that's being re-scheduled!!


This has been a tough old week for Sophie - 3 exams this week. 
Her exams are all 'open book' as there's little anyone can do to check up on a students integrity whilst doing exams remotely but I will say, she's put in the same amount of work and effort had the exams been done normally, in an exam hall under exam conditions. 

Jeff's been on half term this week and although I traded in my days holiday from work on Tuesday, I kept the Friday, originally booked for Florence, as holiday.

Wednesday

Time to tackle my hair again! This time Jeff gave me an under shave! Neither of us braved him actually cutting my hair, so we go rid of a chunk by shaving underneath. I'm hoping it'll keep me going until the hairdressers are allowed to open up again! The weather has been fantastic, the only positive of not being able to go to Florence. I'm just pretending I'm there, breakfasting outside, imagining I'm frequenting some little Italian street cafe!!


Jeff and I 'Boris walked' along the top of Street and Walton Hill, to the windmill and back. 
Stunning views as far as the eye could see.

Thursday

With Jeff on half term, we decided to walk the last section of the Polden Way again. Sam and I had done it a couple of weeks ago but Jeff had been teaching. 


It was perfect for the hot weather, as most of it was through woodland and there were plenty of shady spots along the way. We even saw a slow worm enjoying the sunshine, out on the pathway.

Friday 

Friday and the last exam for Sophie and the end of her Second Year at UNI!
Sadly no celebrating with friends, other than virtually that evening but we raised a glass or two and had a special meal, enjoyed outside in the garden.


Jeff and I got up super early and decided to head to the coast for the morning. It's getting to be a bit groundhog day but the rules do state you can drive anywhere and we went to exercise and the duration of exercise was longer than the drive there!! It's funny how you feel you have to justify your actions and we did discuss whether it was within the lockdown rules. 
If it had been super busy we would have turned around and come home but we got there early, just after 9am, had chosen a piece of coast just 45 mins from home, less popular than the likes of Lyme Regis on the South coast and were the only ones there. We walked the coastal path too initially and didn't pass another soul. The beach there isn't a sunbathing/swimming beach, so certainly didn't attract the masses but by the time we left at about 11.30, it was getting busier and we were glad to be heading home. I'm glad we went and I shall definitely go back, to walk further next time. It's another beautiful part of Somerset, on our doorstep, that we've previously ignored!!

Saturday

Today has been a 'relax out in the garden' type of day. The sun has been shining and really hot, so I've sat out in a shady corner reading my book. I've been making the most of the glorious sunshine, as it's back to work tomorrow! I've no holiday booked now for the next six weeks, when we should be going to Majorca! May re-think, as I'm pretty sure we won't be going anywhere! Maybe cancel a few of the longer days and trade them in for a few more Friday's, as that gives me 4 days off together. I do think this is a way to survive the new 'normal' at work, taking the odd day off and having lots of little mini breaks.


Anyway here's to a good week, a week of disappointments (Florence), a week of hard work (exams) but also a week of the most fabulous sunshine and family time together,

Cheers!!

No comments: