Saturday 13 May 2023

Decision Time!!


A line of cheer!
The weather this week has not been good. It's chilly!! It's grey!! It's miserable!!
We desperately need some warm sunshine NOW!!! PLEASE X It is mid May!!!


I've made a HUGE decision this week!
I've resigned!!
In just four weeks time, I will be unemployed!

I have been feeling out of sorts for a few months now. When I started 5 plus years ago, it was a filler, something to tide me over whilst I thought about what to do after closing down my business. The hours fitted in around family life, school runs etc and I really enjoyed it. No stress, no responsibility, a regular wage, more or less set hours, overtime if I wanted it and I got to be around people again.
 As time went on, I was recognised as someone who could be up-skilled and with that of course came more responsibility, without any extra pay I might add!! I never wanted it, but when Covid happened, I had no choice but to step up and get on with it. And at that time, it felt like we would come out the other side, that we were all in it together and things would ease and get better. As time has gone on, there has been a huge shift in expectation, the number of staff to do what is expected and a higher level of stress. I'm someone who likes to be prepared, so I do look ahead at the schedules, I do try and plan my shift, I do worry about how I will fulfill everything and when you are paid no extra and don't feel appreciated for what you do, it niggles! I have become worried, moany, felt unsupported and for a 15hr, minimum wage job, it was wearing me down disproportionately. It doesn't help with my back either, my eyes water constantly, so when I came home, exhausted, in pain, teary, Jeff just said "stop!" "leave"!! I obviously would have liked something lined up to move on to and I have been looking but not seen anything suitable. We decided I should just finish, enjoy our summer together, update my CV and just see what comes along. So on Friday I went in, handed over my letter, cried!! apologised!! and have just four more weeks left at work!


In other news I went for my normal Thursday walk with my friend Lynn.


Boy, was it wet and muddy under foot.


But everywhere was so green.


The bluebells had gone over up in the woods but the verges were still full of colour.


Wednesday was the Race Across the World Final. 
I've enjoyed this series, would LOVE to do it!


Jeff and I are planning our own mini adventure next year, so I've been testing out rucksacks. I do still have my old rucksack from my inter-railing/student days but I'm going for comfort and really want a front opening rather than top loading one. Still have plenty of time to find the right one but it was good to start to test some out.


So a pretty big week!

Sometimes you just have to go with your gut feeling, don't you? and I do feel I have made the right decision. Only time will tell. If it wasn't for my fellow colleagues, who I feel I am letting down, I would have done it sooner. But you soldier on because you care about the people you work with and how your decision will impact them. The best thing to have come out of the past five years, are really good friendships and I will genuinely miss the people, even some customers!!

I am a believer in things happening for a reason. Something will pop up and all will be well. In the meantime, I soldier on for the next four weeks, then enjoy my time with Jeff over the summer.

No comments: