Wednesday 23 December 2020

Slipping into Christmas


Another busy week! Thought I'd sneak in a little catch up before a final post before Christmas. Despite the challenges of the weather, I managed to meet up with my sister and niece on Saturday....


...... for a socially distanced breakfast, walk and present swap in the car park.
Feels strange that that will be it for this year!


Spent the evening on the sofa with Sophie watching the Strictly final, 
with my first Baileys of the year and the first of the Matchmakers!!


Monday, before work, our lovely hairdresser Di came over to do an emergency trim! I fear we'll be in lockdown immediately after Christmas, so thought an extra cut would be a good idea, just in case!!

 
Monday was also the Winter Solstice, brighter, lighter days to come x


I slogged it out at work, 3 long 8 hour shifts. Am exhausted and my feet hurt but 4pm on Tuesday evening, I hung up my festive antlers for another year. It has felt more tiring than ever this year both mentally and physically, coping with a varying degree of social distancing!! I'm looking forward to 4 days off but I'm then back in Sun, Mon, Tues, Weds!!


This morning I did pop back in though, to do my final food shop. Sophie and I went to M&S last night after to work, to pick up our food order and a few nice bits. We then got up super early this morning, I went to Sainsbury's, she went to Tesco's and we got everything we need and more!!! And yes, I do have a lot of butter but for one I have a boy who eats a mountain of toast daily and two I buy it when it's on offer or when we get a bigger discount!! We certainly won't run out!!


After a much needed coffee, Sophie and I sorted out all the plates, platters, dishes etc for the next few days. A few favourites amongst them all.


Sam finally got round to wrapping his bits for the breakfast bags. I certainly haven't passed on my wrapping gene to him!! The moaning, he only had 9 things to wrap! So this is it, this Christmas, our gifts to each other. A lucky dip from a £10 category - magazine, drink, dvd or socks, and the £5 category - lottery, chocolate, puzzle and joke gift, a t-shirt round, a book round from Jeff and a few extra rounds from me, just for fun. Each round wrapped in the same paper, that we'll all open at the same time and guess who got which round. The wrapping might give a few away, plus I think Sam pulled his own name out of the hat for the t-shirt round!! Bet he'll of treated himself to some designer one, he certainly wouldn't have got from the rest of us. He's working his last couple of shifts at Sainsbury's. Bless him, he's worked hard keeping all the fruit and veg stocked up. He outwardly curses me, as it's hard work but I think secretly he's quite enjoyed working there, meeting lots of other young people and he'll be glad of the money on pay day.

Anyway I'm off to spend my afternoon on the sofa, watching a Christmas film with Sophie. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, Sam's working and it's supposed to be a dry, sunny, cold day, so I'm hoping to get out in the fresh air for a walk, before a relaxing afternoon at home.

Will wish you all a very Merry Christmas now, just in case I don't get time to pop back here before the big day. Have a lovely 'safe' Christmas this year. I appreciate it will be very different for many and I know I'm very lucky to be spending it with my favourite people, just the four of us but it is just one day and hopefully by keeping this year small, we will get to enjoy many more big family Christmas get-togethers in the future x


Merry Christmas x

No comments: